1. Chris Dillow on Democracy:
"The function of representatives in representative democracy, it seems, is take all the idiocies of public opinion, and when these are insufficient, to then add some of their own."
2. The Nobel Peace Prize committee clearly forgot about Mark Zuckerburg.
3. Nigerian lawmakers are "appealing to the patriotism of bandits" to call a "ceasefire."
4. The consolations of economics and other podcasts.
5. Some great photos of "Dickensian China" (via Bayesian Heresy), which remind me of Alex Tabarrok's TED Talk. Dystopian industrial nightmare = the world's greatest anti-poverty programme.
6. Zimbabwe only managed second highest hyper-inflation ever. Can you guess who holds the record?
7. Halloween Costume Ideas for Development Geeks
8. Something about Canadians taking the piss out of Tories warms my heart
9. "The Mo Ibrahim foundation needs to jazz it up and be more disruptive ... How about a fund for young Africans who are running for office ... Or a travel fund/scholarship for young Africans to travel within Africa ... Or an Africa corps ..."